You are here
The New Scottish Surnames and DNA Map is now available to purchase!
The New Scottish Origenes ‘Scottish Surnames and DNA Map’ can now be purchased by clicking here. The map details the precise origin of approximately 4,000 Surnames that are associated with Scotland! The map also details the dominant paternal DNA groups found within Scotland. Scottish surnames are a very diverse mix of Gaelic (typically starting with ‘Mac’), Viking (typically ending in ‘son’), Norman, Brythonic and Anglo-Saxon origin. The Gaelic surnames dominate within the west while Viking surnames dominate within Orkney and Shetland. The east coast of Scotland is the most diverse part with a real mix of surnames some of which are quite unusual. I was very surprised by the sheer number of Scottish surnames that are unique to a single location within Scotland (those surnames feature in red font on the map).
- You can contact me here to find out whether your surname or the surnames of interest to you feature on the map.
- The map is designed to be used with the results of a simple painless commercial ancestral DNA test. If your ancestors originated within Scotland then your DNA test results will reveal surnames associated with a specific area and hence identify where your Scottish ancestors once lived (click here to view a recent presentation detailing how the process works).
- You can contact me here to find out what commercial DNA test is suitable for you.
- To become a member of Origenes click here. With that you will receive a copy of the Scottish Surnames Map plus help with your Scottish surnames and DNA queries.
- If you have participated in commercial ancestral DNA testing then contact me here for a FREE CONSULTATION on your DNA test results.